Zootopia has smashed Frozen’s record for the earnings made by a Disney Animation movie on its opening weekend in the US – raking in around $75.1million between Friday and Sunday.
The figure is nearly $8million higher than the $67.4million Frozen took over three days during its opening weekend back in November 2013.
The next highest earner over the past weekend was London Has Fallen, the sequel to 2013’s Olympus Has Fallen, which took in an estimated $21.6million, with Deadpool in third on $16.7million.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was in fourth place, making $7.4million over the three days, with Gods of Egypt on $5.2million in fifth.
Zootopia tells the story of Judy Hopps, the animal metropolis’s first bunny police officer – as she teams up with sly Nick Wilde the fox to solve a crime.
We chatted with Canadian newscaster Peter Mansbridge – who plays the movie’s news anchor Peter Moosebridge – earlier this week.
The top 10 earners over the past weekend, March 4-6, were as follows:
- Zootopia – $75.1m
- London Has Fallen – $21.6m
- Deadpool – $16.7m
- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot – $7.4m
- Gods Of Egypt – $5.2m
- Risen – $3.9m
- Kung Fu Panda 3 – $3.6m
- The Revenant – $3.4m
- Eddie The Eagle – $3.1m
- The Witch -$2.5m
- Jay Alvarrez ‘coconut oil’ sex tape leak revealed by Logan Paul and Mike Majlak on Impaulsive podcast - 25th November 2020
- Doctor gets trapped in elevator with critically ill patient in exclusive clip from NBC’s Transplant - 24th November 2020
- Ganguro fashion? Tanning? James Charles and Trisha Paytas war over ‘blackface’ allegations - 20th November 2020