Zootopia has smashed Frozen’s record for the earnings made by a Disney Animation movie on its opening weekend in the US – raking in around $75.1million between Friday and Sunday.
The figure is nearly $8million higher than the $67.4million Frozen took over three days during its opening weekend back in November 2013.
The next highest earner over the past weekend was London Has Fallen, the sequel to 2013’s Olympus Has Fallen, which took in an estimated $21.6million, with Deadpool in third on $16.7million.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was in fourth place, making $7.4million over the three days, with Gods of Egypt on $5.2million in fifth.
Zootopia tells the story of Judy Hopps, the animal metropolis’s first bunny police officer – as she teams up with sly Nick Wilde the fox to solve a crime.
We chatted with Canadian newscaster Peter Mansbridge – who plays the movie’s news anchor Peter Moosebridge – earlier this week.
The top 10 earners over the past weekend, March 4-6, were as follows:
- Zootopia – $75.1m
- London Has Fallen – $21.6m
- Deadpool – $16.7m
- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot – $7.4m
- Gods Of Egypt – $5.2m
- Risen – $3.9m
- Kung Fu Panda 3 – $3.6m
- The Revenant – $3.4m
- Eddie The Eagle – $3.1m
- The Witch -$2.5m
- Top Gear exclusive: Host Freddie Flintoff risks his life on terrifying Wall of Death - 24th October 2020
- Top Gear exclusive: Freddie Flintoff on the new season’s crazy stunts and how COVID actually made the show better - 16th October 2020
- Exclusive clip: Watch Top Gear host Freddie Flintoff in near-fatal 124mph crash - 2nd October 2020