Prince Philip is not dead, despite reports claiming quite the opposite.
Just hours ago, rumors emerged online that the 98-year-old had passed away, sending social media into a tizzy.
Soon after, Prince Philip was officially a trending topic on Twitter.
Prompting the rumors are the emergence of the deadly coronavirus pandemic along with the fact that the Prince has not been seen in public for quite some time.
The unfounded speculations, which started from an unknown source, led to countless theories from persons on Twitter.
One user even took the news so far as to add that the flag at Buckingham palace was at half-mast and that the prince’s death would be officially announced in a few days.
Has #PrincePhilip really passed away? it’s been said the flag at #Buckinghampalace is at half mast, & #HarryandMeghan have just flown in. Apparently it’s to be announced in the next couple of days. Surely can’t be true. He doesn’t look to great in this pic though! pic.twitter.com/YGOb4N3Y0A
— Django (@YogaDjanohla) March 18, 2020
Another user realized the news was fake and aired her disdain for these types of rumors.
Twitter can be a joy. Clever, witty, thoughtful . I’m mostly here for the laugh out loud moments, but moronic jokes about elderly people dying & celebrities getting ill in these grim times is not funny. Its cheap, lazy humour. Try a bit harder folks? #PrincePhilip #bobgeldof
— Barbara Carter?? (@Springborn21) March 19, 2020
Buckingham Palace releases statement about the rumor
UK’s Express reported that “Breaking News Editor at The Telegraph Gareth Davies said: “RE. rumour the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, is dead – it’s nonsense…Source close to Buckingham Palace tells me he’s absolutely fine.”
Adding, “I don’t know what would possess someone to start a lie like that, but stop. It’s weird and incites panic. We don’t need that right now.”
The Royal Family Twitter account also reiterated the sentiment, saying in part that the Duke of Edinburgh is “absolutely fine” and that “it’s upsetting to see and hear the constant rumors about #PrincePhilip.”
Its upsetting to see & hear the endless rumours about #PrincePhilip and his health. But you will be pleased to know Buckingham Palace have confirmed Philip is "absolutely fine" May he have many long healthy years ahead of him#Royal #QueenElizabeth #BreakingNews #DukeofEdinburgh pic.twitter.com/nJNjCSJoPn
— Royal Family (@Royal_FamilyUK) March 19, 2020
The prince hasn’t been seen in public since 2019, after being admitted to the hospital for a routine check-up.
He mostly resides at Sandringham Estate since he retired in 2017.
It’s not the first time rumors have swirled about the passing of Queen Elizabeth’s husband since he is so rarely seen in public.
The United Kingdom continues to battle pandemic
In 2019 the queen fell victim to a cruel death hoax as well. It is just par for the course when you’re a celebrity and especially once you’re out of the public’s sight.
However, it is especially crucial at this time that the prince isolate himself from the public, as he falls into the vulnerable age group for contracting the deadly disease.
As of Mar. 19, over 61,000 U.K residents have tested positive for COVID-19, and so far, 19 persons have died.
Earlier this month, the U.K. government implemented a Health Protection Regulations 2020 act. This act is in place to “reduce the risk of further human-to-human transmission in this country by keeping individuals in isolation where public health professionals believe there is a reasonable risk an individual may have the virus.”
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, and other members of the royal family are following strict orders to practice social distancing as the country continues to grapple with the worldwide pandemic.