Opinion Recaps Reviews Interviews Explainers

Paola from 90 Day Fiance had a miscarriage: O-negative pregnancy explained

Paola's miscarriage was explained on 90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After?
Paola’s miscarriage was explained on 90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After?

On the latest episode of 90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After? we got an update from Paola and also an explanation about why she had a miscarriage and whether or not she would be able to have children in the future.

It turns out that Paola’s grandma was right, the 90 Day Fiance star was pregnant after all. Sadly, she miscarried and there won’t be a mini Russ and Paola running around yet. The good news is that they can still build a family in the future now that they know what’s going on.

“A couple of weeks before traveling to Colombia, I found out pregnant. And two days after had to go to the emergency room and I had [a] miscarriage,” Paola said in the confessional. “The happiness I felt when I found out I was pregnant was happiness I’ve been looking for my whole life.”

Russ and Pao have been together for four years now and they are more than ready to start a family. It’s hard to imagine the pain and worry that Pao went through after finally getting pregnant.

When confronted by her mother on 90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After? about a possible pregnancy. Pao explained. She said, “After four years, we’re thinking about having a baby, but I went to the doctor and it’s not easy for me to have a baby because of the blood type I have.”

Type O-negative blood and pregnancy

Paola Mayfield has type O-negative blood, which normally isn’t a big deal. When it comes to getting pregnant though, the missing RH-factor in her blood can pose a problem and put her at risk for miscarriage.

According to Web MD, about 85 percent of the population is RH-positive. The other 15 percent don’t have the presence of the RH protein in their blood, making them RH-negative.

During pregnancy, a parent’s RH-negative status can be an issue and lead to complications if their baby is RH-positive. If their blood mixes during the pregnancy, the woman’s body will start producing antibodies which can lead to complications and even miscarriage.

As Paola explained on 90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After?, this does not mean she won’t be able to have a baby. Instead, her doctor let her know that she definitely can have children. She can even have a large family if she so desires.

It just means that when she does get pregnant, Paola has to take medical precautions and may need to receive special treatment in order to ensure that both she and her future children are healthy.

90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After? airs on Sundays at 8/7c on TLC. 


If you like this story then follow us on Google News or Flipboard.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments