Last week, John Cena put on a great match that helped put over Finn Balor as a legitimate contender to Brock Lesnar and the WWE Universal Championship.
However, the WWE announced that John Cena suffered an ankle injury in that match and the video shows that it was an awkward movement that happened after Drew McIntyre had him locked in an ankle lock submission hold.
Now, it appears that John Cena’s status for the Royal Rumble is in doubt.
John Cena injury
The first question, since this is WWE news, is whether or not the John Cena injury is real or scripted.
Cageside Seats reports that it could be a work, and here is the reason why.
When Cena came back, he listed a number of dates that he would work for the WWE this time around and last week’s Monday Night Raw was the last scheduled date.
Cena even said that he was going to leave after that Raw and head out for his next venture — meaning his next movie. Cena also said that when he is shooting a movie, he is not allowed to wrestle.
That made him declaring for the Royal Rumble surprising to begin with. If Cena has already left to start his next movie, he wouldn’t be allowed to wrestle at the Royal Rumble, so this injury might just be a way to explain the change.
John Cena’s WWE future
If John Cena is gone from the WWE already and won’t be in the Royal Rumble, when could he make his return? The idea right now is that Cena might be back for WrestleMania 35.
Original plans were for Cena to wrestle Lars Sullivan there, but if Lars is finished with the WWE (as is rumored), that doesn’t mean nothing will be there for Cena.
Expect Cena to be back for that event but to then leave again. He has the The Jansen Directive coming up, replacing The Rock in that action movie. There is no word on when shooting starts, but it is in pre-production right now.
John Cena will be in Hollywood more than the WWE from now on, so fans will just have to get used to his dropping by for short stints in the future.