Ring of Honor Wrestling was scheduled to hold two major shows this weekend, but in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, they chose to cancel both shows.
In a press release sent out, Sinclair Broadcast Group announced that both the 18th Anniversary show and the highly anticipated Past vs. Present show were both canceled.
ROH cancels two shows this weekend due to coronavirus
The 18th Anniversary show was set to take place on Friday, March 13, at Sam’s Town Live in Las Vegas.
This show was to feature a main event that had Mark Haskins getting a chance to win the ROH World Championship in a match against Rush.
Also up was a highly anticipated match between Dragon Lee and Bandido for the ROH World Television Championship, while Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham would put the tag titles on the line against Marty Scurll and Flip Gordon.
Add in The Briscoe Brothers vs. Dalton Castle and Joe Hendry, an appearance by Jeff Cobb, and much more, and this was one of the biggest shows so far for Ring of Honor in 2020.
However, the even more anticipated show was scheduled for Saturday night at Sam’s Town Live in Las Vegas. That was the Past vs. Present show, where faces from Ring of Honor’s amazing past planned to return to battle the faces of the present.
That show was to see favorites of the past returning, including Doug Williams, Homicide, Matt Sydal and Alex Shelley (Generation Next), Necro Butcher, Grizzly Redwood, Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero (The Havana Pitbulls), and former ROH Champion Xavier.
Also on tap was a battle between Mark Briscoe and Jay Briscoe.
Neither card will take place and there is no word on if they will be rescheduled.
“This extremely difficult decision was made in conjunction with the most recent developments surrounding COVID-19, known as the Coronavirus… the safety and health of our fans, talents and staff are always our utmost priority… Additional Information will be provided as soon as possible regarding refunds and potential rescheduling of the events that were set to transpire this weekend.” – Sinclair
Ring of Honor takes stance on coronavirus
Before this announcement, Ring of Honor stated they would proceed with all planned current events and activities. This included both the 18th Anniversary Show and Past vs. Present show.
That has changed.
In that original statement, ROH said that they were “closely monitoring all information being made known by the government, the CDC and WHO to the public” and that they would be proactive when any information was delivered to them.
Meanwhile, the city of Tampa has yet to determine whether or not they will cancel WrestleMania 36, while WWE said they will look at their options in case that happens.