Kofi Kingston came into WrestleMania 35 with some of the biggest momentum for any WWE superstar as he tried to win the WWE Championship for the first time in his 11 year career.
The storyline was set up perfectly with Daniel Bryan calling him a B+ player, something that Bryan had to overcome a few years back.
In Bryan’s case, it was a chance to overcome all odds and he did it when he beat Triple H and Batista in the same night to become the champion.
This year, it was Bryan as the heel and he repaid the favor and made Kofi Kingston a star in the process — giving Kingston his big WrestleMania moment and helping him become the first black WWE champion in history.
Still have goosebumps from Kofi Kingston defeating Daniel Bryan & becoming the new #SDLive champion!!
What a beautiful moment!! #WrestleMania
— Get The Tables (@GetDaTables) April 8, 2019
This is a big moment but might need an explanation.
Yes, there have been black world champions in the past. Mark Henry and Booker T were both world champions but they won the WWE World Championship — the title that used to be the WCW world title.
However, that is a different title than the WWE Championship, which is the old-school WWE title that was held by Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and Bret “The Hitman” Hart in the past.
That title, with its long history in WWE, was never held by a black man. While “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson held it, he is half-black and half-Samoan, so that is the difference in how this is determined.
It was a great moment as well, with Kofi Kingston getting a new title belt with his name on it. He also celebrated in the ring with his kids and New Day and the fans loved every second of it.
Full WrestleMania 35 results
- WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match: Tony Nese defeated Champion Buddy Murphy
- WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal: Carmella
- Raw Tag Team Title Match: Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder defeated Champions The Revival
- Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal: Braun Strowman
- WWE Universal Championship Match: Seth Rollins defeated Champion Brock Lesnar
- AJ Styles defeated Randy Orton
- Smackdown Tag Team Title Match: Champions The Usos defeated Sheamus & Cesaro, Shinsuke Nakamura & Rusev, and Ricochet & Aleister Black
- Falls Count Anywhere Match: Shane McMahon defeated The Miz
- WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship Match: The IIconics defeated Beth Phoenix and Natalya, Tamina and Nia Jax, and Champions Sasha Banks & Bayley
- WWE Championship Match: Kofi Kingston defeated Champion Daniel Bryan
- WWE United States Championship Match: Champion Samoa Joe defeated Rey Mysterio
- Roman Reigns defeated Drew McIntyre
- No Holds Barred Match w/Triple H’s Career on the Line: Triple H defeated Batista
- Baron Corbin defeated Kurt Angle
- WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Finn Balor defeated Champion Lashley
- Winner Take All Match: Becky Lynch defeated Ronda Rousey & Charlotte
- Avengers: Endgame directors planning to make another superhero movie - 24th February 2021
- Marvel announces what Blade will be rated and the future of R-rated movies - 24th February 2021
- Tom Holland not signed for any more MCU films after Spider-Man: No Way Home - 24th February 2021