The 107th running of the Louisiana Derby will go on as scheduled.
With the COVID-19 virus bearing down on the US, the Louisiana Derby was on the threshold of being canceled.
However, this race will go ahead as planned, but like the Rebel Stakes last weekend, there will be no fans cheering the horses on to victory.
Louisiana Derby has a lot at stake
The Louisiana Derby will take place on Saturday, March 21. This race is the first of the three biggest prep races left on the schedule leading to the Road to the Kentucky Derby.
With the Kentucky Derby being moved to the first weekend in September, the horses and their trainers will have time to ponder which approach they will use in the big race.
That may or may not be a good thing, however, first things first – the Louisiana Derby could be a make or break race for horses on the bubble of qualifying for the Derby.
The Louisiana Derby pays up a $1 million purse for the first nine horses to cross the finish line. The winner will receive $600,000 while $200,000 will go to the runner-up and $100,000 to the third-place finisher.
Besides the money, a lot of points are on the line as well.
— Garland Gillen (@garlandgillen) March 21, 2020
Scoring will go as follows: 100 points will go to the winner while 40 points will be collected for the runner up. The third-place horse will receive 20 points and the fourth-place finisher will collect 10 points.
Points are at a premium right now for these horses as they battle to stay on the leaderboard in hopes to qualify for the 2020 Kentucky Derby.
The top 20 horses on the board will receive the invitation-only bids to Churchill Downs this September.
Field, odds how to watch live
It will seem odd to once again watch a stakes race take place in front of an empty stadium, but that is the new normal since the coronavirus pandemic. It is better to be safe than sorry, especially given the recommended public safety implications.
According to Thelines.com, Enforceable is the morning line favorite at 7/2. Silver State and Modernist are right behind Enforceable at 6/1.
Below is a list of the entire field, current odds and all the information you need to know for today’s big race.
- What: Louisiana Derby
- When: Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Race and Time: Race 12 – Estimated post time is 5:49 ET
- TV:1:30-6:30 p.m. ET on FS1; 4-8 p.m. ET on NBCSN
- Live Stream: NBC Sports App and streamed live on NBCsports.com/live and TVG
Field and Odds
- Major Fed — 8-1 — J. Rosario
- Mailman Money — 15-1 — G. Saez
- Wells Bayou — 8-1 — F. Geroux
- Chestertown — 15-1 — J. Velazquez
- Social Afleet — 50-1 — A. Beschizza
- Shake Some Action — 15-1 — C. Hernandez
- Sharecropper — 20-1 — M. Mena
- Royal Act — 10-1 — A. Cedillo
- Portos — 8-1 — I. Ortiz Jr.
- Enforceable — 7-2 — J. Leparoux
- Ny Traffic — 15-1 — L. Saez
- Lynn’s Map — 30-1 — T. Gaffalione
- Silver State — 6-1 — R. Santana Jr.
- Modernist — 6-1 — J. Alvarado
- Hank Steinbrenner cause of death was ‘longstanding health issue’ say Yankees, not coronavirus - 15th April 2020
- Alex Rodriguez and Jose Canseco: What is the beef between them all about? - 13th April 2020
- Detroit Lions rumors: Six teams ready to trade for Lions’ No. 3 pick in 2020 NFL Draft - 11th April 2020