Good war films give average people a taste of what our brave troops go through on the battlefield and throughout their daily lives. While not all of these films feature war, they all use military service as a central theme.
Ranker.com created a poll that tabulated the favorites of each generation, with all branches of the U.S. military represented, although admittedly, fewer films have been made about the Coast Guard.
All time periods have been included from recent, modern militaries to the armies of the past. A few movies about armed forces from other countries, as well as fictional guerrilla forces, are also on this list.
Memorial Day is this weekend, and in honor of the men and women who fight for our nation, here are some excerpts from ranker.com’s research:
- “Saving Private Ryan” and “Full Metal Jacket” Top Poll
- Millennials Prefer “Platoon” & “Black Hawk Down”
- Baby Boomers Favorites Include “The Great Escape” and “The Longest Day”
- Women Ranked “Glory” and “The Patriot” Among Their Top Picks
- While the majority of voters agreed on the top 2 movies, Millennials were more likely to also vote for Platoon, Black Hawk Down, A Few Good Men (#17) and G.I. Jane (#77).
- Baby Boomers more often voted The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape as their top Military movies.
- Women preferred Glory (#23) and The Patriot (#16) to Black Hawk Down and The Bridge on the River Kwai and were also more likely to vote for Born on the Fourth of July (#54) and Pearl Harbor (#37).
- Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket took the #1 and #2 spots by a landslide, ranking as the top picks across all age demographics and genders.
The poll, which closed voting on May 18, included 139 films for movie fans to vote on.
The Top 10 as determined by 4,900 votes are:
- Saving Private Ryan
- Full Metal Jacket
- Apocalypse Now
- Black Hawk Down
- The Bridge on the River Kwai
- We Were Soldiers
- The Dirty Dozen
- The Great Escape