What are your Oak Island theories?

Julian

Administrator
There are so many theories about Oak Island and what happened there. Interested to know what you all think?

James Wray

Administrator
I'm pretty skeptical but if there was to be a treasure on an island in that area then I'd guess the most likely source would not something like the Copper Scroll of the Qumran Essenes or the Ark of the Covenant left by Templars fleeing persecution in Europe but most likely something buried by one of the many privateers and pirates who did ply the eastern coast a few hundred years ago. Though often their treasures were looted cargos and trade goods, even opium from forays to the Indian Ocean.

So maybe something like that?

Last edited:
I have been watching Curse of Oak Island since the beginning. I do not get bored! Where else can you watch two brothers do something that they talked about when they were young? How many other folks out there are doing something with a sibling that they dreamed about as children? Yes, maybe more than I think, but I am fascinated by the show and am looking forward to the next season. And...if this treasure has been "lost" for 223 years, it's not going to be very simple and easy to find!! I hope things continue to look up for everyone involved and I will continue to watch and wait. See you next year!!

jbw

Imp
I'm pretty skeptical but if there was to be a treasure on an island in that area then I'd guess the most likely source would not something like the Copper Scroll of the Qumran Essenes or the Ark of the Covenant left by Templars fleeing persecution in Europe but most likely something buried by one of the many privateers and pirates who did ply the eastern coast a few hundred years ago. Though often their treasures were looted cargos and trade goods, even opium from forays to the Indian Ocean.

So maybe something like that?
i enjoy the show but question the methodology. if the treasure is potentially fragile ancient artifacts or documents, drilling multiple holes into a potential vault does not seem productive. every show shows a haphazard visit metal detecting in a wooded site and amazingly finding something. why not set up a formal grid search and check everything in the lots in a planned manner? I suspect there is a lot more to find . I also tire of the narrator repeating what was just said, and constant closeups to get facial expression reaction to events. But all this aside, show still has me hooked. I remember reading the same Readers Digest story in my youth that got the brothers hooked.

I agree with others that there needs to be a more systematic approach to the searches. To many haphazard searches. Like why did it take them until the end of the season to start searching for the confluence of the feed drains?

The potential for a ship in the swamp is very intriguing. I hope they do a better job of searching that area.

James Wray

Administrator
Yes, I think they could be far more systematic. I know the archeologist consults with them but he could probably run them up a proper dig plan.

I actually thing the show is a riot!!! From the announcer who can't help but repeat the obvious to the metal detector dude and his "Holy-schimolly Batman"!!! But the topper has to be the smart brother wasting his money on a treasure that doesn't exist!!! We all know Discovery would NEVER reveal any evidence disproving the existance of a treasure. Mind you, I find the show very entertaining (like a train wreck that you can't turn away from) but everyone realizes the ENTIRE theory a treasure even exists is based on a couple of teenage boys who claim to have dug a hole finding wood planks every ten feet down... That's it in a nutshell!!!

All i can say is....in ten years ..they have not figured out how to dig a hole 170 feet deep...with all the high tech in the world now. Makes me want to curse. The only one coming up with the gold in any of these reality treasure shows is Discovery Execs.

very good program except for the repeating it can be tedious going over the same thing, makes the program too short in real time
also there are nice finds, but I cannot see them finding any large finds it has all been taken if it was there in the first place

I sincerely think it is time to end the program before you lose all your viewers and then you can really tell us the truth if you ever did find the treasure
If it was so big and would change world history the church and the government would cover it up anyway

Soapsuds

Gremlin
why did we not see Dans funeral
I imagine the family wanted to keep it private. History did show a memorial to him at the end. There may be bits and glimpses of it next year as the show wears on. Or, more of a retrospect of his life and achievements.

There are so many theories about Oak Island and what happened there. Interested to know what you all think?
I'm in UK and been watching the shows, often we are behind you for time shown on TV,
BUT
What has amazed me is what gets missed / overlooked.

The tunnels were built from wood, as was the flood tunnels, so where did the wood come from, not from the trees as they would need huge ammount of work to make them into suitable planking and beams, so they would have logically used the ships planking and beams.

There have been finds of metal nails and wood planking in the swamp. So originally two islands, sail ships between them, dam the ends, drain the water and you then disasemble the ships to use in building the underground structures. A few bits missed or lost are what have been found in the swamp.

No way would the miners have transported wood away from the disassembly point, so the underground tunnels would start close to the swamp, and head down towards the money pit area. The miners who dug the tunnels would have started at an easy location, and the soil coming out of the tunel complex would have been dumped as close as possible to the entrance, which would have been into the dissassembly area, hence the coins lost by miners being found in the swamp area.

No one has thought to look at the sides of the swamp to find the start of the underground tunnels, would have been easier and cheaper to start here first.

Soapsuds

Gremlin
Wow, it sounds like you’ve done your homework, very impressive!

I think the swamp will be the most interesting place this year do you agree?

James Wray

Administrator
I'd like to more about how much of the island the guy who built the causeway actually dug up. I think that would be handy to know.

I can't see treasure there ,I mean people come over there dig a 170 ft hope to put treasure then put all of the water traps where did all this wood come all the men to dig such a hold but it is good tv lol

Soapsuds

Gremlin
I can't see treasure there ,I mean people come over there dig a 170 ft hope to put treasure then put all of the water traps where did all this wood come all the men to dig such a hold but it is good tv lol
Will you be watching the new season? It promises to be bigger and ever before, it could be the year that everything finally comes together!

James Wray

Administrator
I think it is possible someone buried something there, certainly were privateers who operated on the east coast and did hide cargo sometimes. However, I'd imagine something less elaborate than a lot of the theories.

Pressure test your pipe at H8 I think it's what it's called, seal top of pipe with one way valve in middle of cap start adding air pressure to it and get ready.... It will push all the water out then start blowing big air bubbles where water is coming in, on the river we called it pressure testing, it was used on boats and barges