Money Pit Methodology

First, I ADORE the show, the Laginas and crew, and every minute of every episode.
That said... I wonder why they are using the method of making multiple boreholes over the "money pit" area? I'm a mineral collector (otherwise known as a rockhound) and the mines I visit are open pit bench mines; that is, a concentric ring of "benches" are cut encircling the lowest point. The way the bore extractions are working is that they are literally shredding everything they find! If those are Shakespeare's manuscripts, well, they have just about put them through a blender, since they've come up with shreds. This method is ruining whatever may be down there. Same with the human bones; they've now been disturbed from their original resting place, thus making any forensic analysis problematic, if not moot. If you're going to unearth a treasure, the only logical way to do it is by starting some 50 yards out from the money pit area and gradually dig at an incline (benches) winding down near their most productive borehole. That way, they preserve everything as they go.

James Wray

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I think their methodology often seems pretty reckless. Archeologists do use drilling to allow them to sample areas without disturbing them too much or to save time.

I think they also use it to pick up patterns of settlement etc over larger areas...but I'm not sure they would use on a dig like Oak Island.

Yes, boreholes make sense if you are exploring a huge area, say, looking for the boundaries of a settlement the size of a football field. But, the minute you bore up fragments, you know something is there, so full stop! You've just chipped a bone off a skeleton or nicked ancient parchment already. Broken pottery? Well, if it wasn't broken before you dug there, it is now. Put a flag at the bore site, then plan to come at that depth from some distance out. I haven't been to Oak Island (yet!) but it seems they have too many boreholes (um, the ground is collapsing) in too small a vicinity. Put the big can away and go in with a front loader.
Unfortunately for whatever history is down there, the borehole method makes for better television.