Maori Culture Misrepresented by Manu Bennett

Tane

Imp
Manu has been critised by thousands of Maori who are offended by his actions and the misrepresentation of Maori culture overseas. Manu broke many deeply sacred cultural practices when he 'performed' the haka. He has been asked multiple times to stop. His words, actions and the methods he is teaching are incorrect and an abomination to sacred Maori culture. His mental health has been called into question and his attention seeking behaviour using abhorant Maori misappropriation and misrepresentation has been widely condemned in New Zealand. He is his own monster and his biggest critics are Maori.

April Neale

Gremlin
Manu has been critised by thousands of Maori who are offended by his actions and the misrepresentation of Maori culture overseas. Manu broke many deeply sacred cultural practices when he 'performed' the haka. He has been asked multiple times to stop. His words, actions and the methods he is teaching are incorrect and an abomination to sacred Maori culture. His mental health has been called into question and his attention seeking behaviour using abhorant Maori misappropriation and misrepresentation has been widely condemned in New Zealand. He is his own monster and his biggest critics are Maori.
He is an actor and he is of Maori descent (partially)...and on Dance Moms reality TV series, a troupe of kids did a Haka, so where's the line here? HAKA KIDS

April Neale

Gremlin
The Romanian police filed a criminal complaint against him (a charge of indecent exposure) for performing a naked haka at a UNESCO site in the country. He also reportedly stripped to perform the haka at two other sites in Iceland and Switzerland. I assume its obvious that he has a duty to respect the attitude of other cultures to nudity in public places when he is visiting foreign countries.

April Neale

Gremlin
The Romanian police filed a criminal complaint against him (a charge of indecent exposure) for performing a naked haka at a UNESCO site in the country. He also reportedly stripped to perform the haka at two other sites in Iceland and Switzerland. I assume its obvious that he has a duty to respect the attitude of other cultures to nudity in public places when he is visiting foreign countries.
I know, He's an actor and has had past scuffles due to excessive drink at a past Comic Con, but he IS part Maori and he feels very strongly that his family's culture should be celebrated - and to his credit I never knew about Haka until this happened! I covered Manu for Monsters & Critics https://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/manu-bennett-of-spartacus-fame-does-naked-haka-celebrating-kiwi-heritage/
He genuinely thought he was alone-the man who filmed him was afar, - and Manu has said of the ONLY way to do it proper is naked to honor the tradition. He also apologized. He said:
"It was very traditional for Māori warriors to go into battle naked," Bennett said.
"Basically, naked is more sacred and personal items are considered noa - not sacred. All things have energy and to fight naked means to fight pure, as with haka."
It's not the first time Bennett has performed a haka naked.
Days after his Romania performance, he posted a photo on his Facebook page of him doing a haka, naked, at the Dynjandi Waterfall in Iceland - the largest waterfall in the Westfjord.

He maintained his actions were respectful.

"To be completely free of noa, one could become tapu," he wrote on Instagram. "This feeling when you haka cannot be explained in modern Christian context as it belongs to ancient spiritual energy, where natures' forces held more religious significance. I performed the above haka at an ancient Viking settlement once known as Dynjandi. Now only the footstones remain & this wonderful waterfall, the energy of which enticed the Icelandic Vikings to live there."

My point is, with all the scoundrels on the world stage right now, Manu is the least of our problems and he's a damned good actor.