Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom director J.A. Bayona hired for Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series

James Wray

Administrator
I'm not that familiar with J.A. Bayona, but the official Facebook page for Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series shared a link to Deadline's story announcing that he will be directing the first two episodes of the series.

Bayona's previous credits include the look warm Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, though his work also includes the far better received The Orphanage, The Impossible and the rather excellent A Monsters Calls.

Bayona's TV work includes several episodes of the award-winning Victorian horror series Penny Dreadful.

Deadline quoted the filmmaker as saying: “I can’t wait to take audiences around the world to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never before seen story.”

Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series will be set during the Second Age of Middle-earth.

Personally, I'll be happy to see someone other than Peter Jackson have a go. The films were good but he was way too CGI happy and made large parts of The Return of the King (the ridiculous army of Dunharrow dead) and The Hobbit (barrel rider etc) into a sort of video game. Time to give someone else a chance and no doubt Bayona will be joined by a bunch of other directors for the entire series.

What do you think? Will Bayona do a good job?

Last edited: