Hair care is a balancing act of internal and external forces. You need to protect your hair from the elements and eat well and get good sleep. You need to not over-style it and remember to give your hair a break from heat appliances a few days a week.
So, what do you eat for your hair?
These healthy foods are chock full of vitamins and minerals that support healthy hair growth and a nourished scalp:
- Salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin B-12 and iron
- Dark green vegetables: Vitamins A and C
- Beans/lentils: Protein, iron, zinc and biotin
- Nuts: Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and selenium
- Poultry: Protein and iron
- Eggs: Protein, biotin and vitamin B-12
- Whole grains: Zinc, iron and B vitamins
- Oysters: Protein and Zinc
- Carrots: Vitamin A
So to rock beautiful hair every day, here are the best foods UNDER $25 you can eat:
· Iberia Olives – Rich in vitamin E, which increases blood flow to the hair follicles and stimulates growth and vitality. The oil in olives keeps hair soft and flexible. Eating olives can also decrease split ends and reconstruct the hair fiber to prevent dryness and breakages. (Available at Wal-Mart/MSRP: $2.39)
· Carrington Farms Chia Seeds – Contains omega-3 fats, which improve the integrity of elastin and keratin, creating thick, voluminous tresses. The fats also nourish the scalp helping to boost shine. (Available at & grocery stores nationwide/MSRP: $24.99)
· Iberia Rice – Highly concentrated in biotin, a B vitamin that helps improve the elasticity of hair and reduces brittleness. Eating rice can also nourish the hair follicle and stimulate hair cell renewal, which leads to thicker strands. (Available at Wal-Mart/MSRP: $5.99)
· Iberia Black Beans – Contains iron, zinc, biotin and protein – all important building blocks for the hair that strengthen and prevent breakage. (Available at Wal-Mart/MSRP: $0.89)
· Carrington Organics Green Tea – Drinking anti-oxidant polyphenol-rich green tea will improve your skin and boost your beauty. You can also apply it topically. Washing your hair with green tea or applying it directly to the scalp could help fix troublesome dandruff and add shine. (Available at Wal-Mart/MSRP: $3.99 for pack of 20)
Monsters and Critics received professional samples of various hair care items and winnowed the herd to the best in category for February 2014.
Our criteria is simple: Paraben, sulfate and cruelty free – made in the USA and affordability along with performance and effectiveness. These items below did what they said and smelled and felt great doing it:
Formaldehyde-free Keratin Treatment (Formaldehyde & Aldehyde-Free)
This set of coordinated products works small miracles. Peter Coppola Keratin Concept’s Vitamin B5 Blowout kit has Pro Vitamin B5, this powerful beauty vitamin offers moisture, detangling ability and thickening features, while its ability to reflect light will make tresses shinier and glossier.
How to Create The Vitamin B5 Blowout
Peter Coppola Keratin Concept’s line begins by shampooing and conditioning with Peter Coppola’s Total Repair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Shampoo and Total Repair Conditioner, loaded with Keratin Amino Acids, Ceramides and Pro Vitamin B5. Smell is spa fresh and leaves the hair clean and repaired.
Next, spray towel dried hair with Just Blow – Blow-Out Spray to achieve a longer lasting blowout while infusing your tresses with additional Keratin, Ceramides, vitamins and sunflower oil. This heat activated leave-in spray reduces your drying time by 50% while boosting a glossy mane. After spraying Just Blow – Blow Out Spray section your hair into 4 parts; crown, sides and nape for total control while blow drying. Begin at the nape area and remove most of the moisture until hair is slightly damp. This eliminates unnecessary pulling and tugging on the hair when it is most vulnerable.
Then, taking small sections and the Peter Coppola Ceramic Round Brush lift the hair at the base for added volume and slide down the section until the ends are sleek. Always use the nozzle attachment of your blow dryer for concentrated air flow directly where you want it to be; not blowing the hair everywhere to cause tangles.
To finish, gently cup the ends under or flip up to achieve your desired finish. Repeat until all the sections are dried. For the final touch, take a small amount of Peter Coppola’s super lightweight, no build-up formula Argan Oil Polish in the palms of your hands as the perfect finishing tool. Slightly warm the Argan Oil Polish in your palms, coat hands and gently glide through your younger looking strands for a brilliant shiny finish
Tigi Catwalk Session Series Salt Spray 9.13 ounces
Texture and lightness of being, in a heavenly scented scrunch spray. I loved this alternative to hairspray that can add volume without weight. For a loose, pliable hold to the hair, this texturizing spray formula allows you to control frizz and fight humidity, while sea salt adds body and definition to the hair to create the most amazing looks.
Spray into wet hair to add body or in dry hair for tousled texture. Perfect for textured waves or Bohemian waves and braids. My hair type is fine and straight, a little longer than shoulder length. I do not blow dry every day. I used this at least twice a week and create a tousled pretty effect with no effort. All you do is comb, spray on wet, scrunch and go. It will get set as it dries. AND I used it for three days straight with no washing when I went camping and my hair looked awesome!
Tigi Blowout Balm 3.04 ounces
This is the opposite of the salt spray-this is for when hair. must. obey.
This is styling treatment for when you must be polished and perfect. This intense conditioning formula helps you achieve beautifully smooth and glossy hair. This formula has shield-forming and shine-enhancing ingredients to help resist heat up to 450° F while providing illuminating shine.
Intense conditioning formula helps to deliver beautifully smooth and glossy hair.
Apply product to hands and smooth through hair section by section.
Organic Haircare Doctor Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
I use Argan oil all over. It’s a non oily oil, if that makes any sense. Skin and hair drink it up. Organic Moroccan Argan Oil smells fresh and clean, and is an incredibly rich source of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. The unique properties of Argan oil are combined with a number of organic essential oils and fruit extracts to create a rich shampoo that smooths and cleanses the hair’s cuticle fibers, leaving it looking and feeling beautifully re-hydrated and revitalized.
Organic Haircare Doctor Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner
Organic Moroccan Argan Oil is an incredibly rich source of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. In combination with a proprietary blend of bioactive and organic ingredients, this hydrating and restoring conditioner coats and binds the cuticle fibers, penetrating deep into the cortex to leave the hair smooth, shining and bursting with vitality.
Organic Haircare Doctor Moroccan Argan Oil Restorative Treatment Conditioner 6.8 ounces
Sensuous and rich, this flip-top lid wide mouth jar is fun to use. Due to organic Argan Oil’s hair restorative and protective properties, this luxe blend of organic oils and extracts they have formulated produced a fabulous super rich concentrated conditioning balm cream that instantly envelopes the hair’s keratin fibers with nourishing phospholipids and essential fatty acids, dramatically nourishing worn hair and increasing core strength to protect against breakage. This is a once a week treatment for the whole family-it’s great for restoring hair that is colored or for swimmers.