Tune in alert for PBS in June, as Burt Bacharach is celebrated.
For over half a century, the immensely popular and immediately identifiable melodies of celebrated composer Burt Bacharach have touched millions of music lovers around the world. Bacharach established himself in the 1960s as a topical successor to his Tin Pan Alley predecessors, creating some of the most beloved and successful pop music ever to grace radio, television and film. Hosted by Robert Wagner, this first-time ever archival PBSFrom PBS
Burt Bacharach's Best: My Music | June 2013 | PBS special includes all the original artists performing Bacharach's hits with rare footage and clips from the 1960s -1980s. BURT BACHARACH'S BEST (MY MUSIC) premieres on PBS stations beginning
June 1, 2013 (check local listings).
Bacharach teamed with lyricist Hal David for a stunning run of classic songs, many in tandem with Dionne Warwick ("Walk On By," "I Say A Little Prayer," "Alfie"). British songbird Dusty Springfield introduced the seductive standard "The Look Of Love," while Tom Jones popularized the playful "What's New Pussycat?," Herb Alpert romanticized with "This Guy's In Love With You," and Jackie DeShannon touched hearts with the iconic "What The World Needs Now Is Love."
The smashes continued in the seventies when The Carpenters reached #1 with "(They Long To Be) Close To You," following another number one evergreen, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," the Oscar-winning tune sung by B.J. Thomas in the film Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Soul-pop ensemble The Fifth Dimension present the sultry ballad "One Less Bell To Answer."
The 1980s witnessed more Bacharach chart-toppers such as "Arthur's Theme" sung by Christopher Cross and "That's What Friends Are For" performed by Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & Elton John.
Burt Bacharach continues to perform concert dates across the globe and his autobiography, Anyone Who Had A Heart, has just been published by HarperCollins.
BURT BACHARACH'S BEST (MY MUSIC) features these performances:
· "Walk On By" - Dionne Warwick
· "I Say A Little Prayer" - Dionne Warwick
· "Any Day Now" - Chuck Jackson
· "What's New Pussycat?" - Tom Jones
· "The Look Of Love" - Dusty Springfield
· "This Guy's In Love With You" - Herb Alpert
· "This Girl's In Love With You" - Dionne Warwick
· "Alfie" - Dionne Warwick
· "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - B.J. Thomas
· "One Less Bell To Answer" - The Fifth Dimension
· "What The World Needs Now Is Love" - Jackie DeShannon
· "(They Long to Be) Close To You" - The Carpenters
· "A House Is Not a Home" - Burt Bacharach & Dusty Springfield
· "Arthur's Theme" - Christopher Cross and Burt Bacharach with Carole Bayer Sager
· "That's What Friends Are For" - Elton John, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight
· "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me" - Burt Bacharach and orchestra
PBS special programming invites viewers to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; hear diverse viewpoints; and take front-row seats to world-class drama and performances. Viewer contributions are an important source of funding, making PBS programs possible. PBS and public television stations offer all Americans from every walk of life the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content.