Bonus 'Face Off': Glenn Hetrick, Ve Neill’s Top 10 Magic Movie Makeup Moments
By April MacIntyre Aug 21, 2012, 16:16 GMT
Bonus Face Off Intel from Syfy:
Bonus Face Off Intel from Syfy:
Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick inspire the contestants on Face Off every season with their love of movies and their spectacular makeup artistry, but have you ever wondered what inspired Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick?
From today until the premiere of Face Off we will be presenting Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick's Top Magic Movie Makeup Moments.
See what inspired them and get in on the debate. Are these really the best makeup moments in Hollywood history?
Ve Neill’s Top 10 Magic Movie Makeup Moments:
1. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN – WHEN SHE MEETS FRANKY FOR THE FIRST TIME AND HISSES AT HIM
2. STAR WARS – THE CANTINA SEQUENCE
3. EXORCIST – THE WHOLE MOVIE, BUT ESPECIALLY WHEN REAGAN'S HEAD TWIST AROUND
4. LOST BOYS – WHEN KEIFER IS PULLED IN TO THE SUNLIGHT AND STARTS TO SMOKE AND WHEN BROOKE COMES OUT OF THE TUB OF HOLY WATER
5. BEETLEJUICE – WHEN MICHAEL KEATON COMES OUT OF THE FLOOR WITH THE CAROUSEL ON HIS HEAD OR WHEN HE FLIES OUT OF THE GRAVE.
6. THE MUMMY – WHEN BORIS KARLOFF AWAKENS AS THE MUMMY
7. ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW – WHEN TIM CURRY ASCENDS IN THE ELEVATOR
8. SCANNERS – WHEN MICHAEL IRONSIDE'S HEAD STARTS TO PULSE AND ALL THE VEINS POP OUT AND EXPLODE
9. BATMAN RETURNS – WHEN DANNY DE VITO WALKS DOWN THE STAIRS OF THE ELECTION HEADQUARTERS EATING RAW FISH
10. THE HOWLING – WHEN EDDIE QUIST SAYS “I WANT TO GIVE YOU A PIECE OF MY MIND” AND PULLS THE BULLET OUT OF HIS FOREHEAD
Glenn Hetrick’s Top 10 Magic Movie Makeup Moments:
Firstly, I perceive a most urgent and specific need to clarify that this list is indeed about the identification of “moments” in horror cinema for which I hold a particular fondness.
In all fairness, having immersed myself in the Horror and Sci-Fi subculture for the entire span of my life, I have so many proclivities in regards to this sort of material that it is difficult to make even a cursory attempt at whittling down this massive list to just 10.
Thus, this list would most assuredly change depending on when you asked me and what I have most recently re-watched. Further, it would certainly be a wholly different list if the parameters were changed to “Favorite Horror Films”.
1. Bambi getting shot. Just kidding. My number one Favorite Horror Movie Moment is…. The first full shot of the H.R. Giger/Ridley Scott horror diety, the Xenomorph in ALIEN. Duhh.
2. The hunting party confronting a now extremely agitated and Bat-form Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
3. The profound and echoing impact of all four Cenobites appearing in that backlit doorway, forever changing the landscape of villain design in Hellraiser 2. And yes, I am aware that the original Hellraiser rules as well, I just like the second one better.
4. Encroaching Zombie doom (with plenty of bitchin close-ups) presses in on Micheal Jackson in THRILLER. Yes, that counts as a Movie, albeit a short one.
5. Vincent Price putting his own face back on over one of my favorite classic make-up designs in The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
6. That moist, shambling abomination known to fans worldwide as the Tar Man from Return of the Living Dead. Also, every scene from that movie.
7. The appearance of Baphomet in the unparalleled occult classic, The Devil Rides Out.
8. The unforgettable “I’ll swallow your soul!” scene with the Henrietta Demon in Evil Dead 2. Swallow this.
9. The bizarre push zoom reveal of Christopher Lee’s Frankenstein Make-up in Hammer Film’s Curse of Frankenstein.
10. Favorite “jump out of your seat moment” is a tie between the Sheet Ghost crossing the Hall in Exorcist 3, and that awful shaking face in the car in Jacob’s Ladder. Both subtle, both of which are master strokes of direction and pacing.
Face Off Challenge
Don’t forget fans can transform their face into a zombie, animal and other magical movie creatures using the Face Off Challenge App (below) or create their own homemade makeup face transformations.
Fans submit their photos to enter the FANtastic Transformation of the week contest. Starting on August 28th, 2012 the photo with the most votes each week will appear during the Tuesday airing of Face Off.
On October 10, 2012 Syfy judges will select one of the ultimate transformations from the winner of FANtastic Transformation of the week and send the winner on a Grand Prize trip to Los Angeles California on Halloween to see Face Off filmed Live!
Face Off Challenge App URL: http://www.facebook.com/FaceOffSeries/app_166650696724322
Face Off Challenge Submission Gallery URL: http://apps.facebook.com/syfypub/contest?id=1146