Sons of Anarchy signed poster contest, Irish recipes and previews for Oct. 26!
By April MacIntyre Oct 23, 2010, 2:31 GMT
FX\'s brilliant biker drama "Sons of Anarchy" has ratcheted up the action and the heat is on Eire, as the SAMCRO gang are winging it sans papers to the Emerald Isle, in a bid to get back Jax\'s son and Gemma\'s grandson Abel.
FX's brilliant biker drama "Sons of Anarchy" has ratcheted up the action and the heat is on Eire, as the SAMCRO gang are winging it sans papers to the Emerald Isle, in a bid to get back Jax's son and Gemma's grandson Abel.
Now if you are following, the big reveal last week was that Jax has an Irish half-sister, and Gemma was one of the last to find out John Teller's naughty little secret.
It didn't go down well.
Tara (Maggie Siff) is now stepping up to the plate and is under more duress than ever, at least she has an ally with Gemma (Katey Sagal) and even the plucky hospital administrator, Margaret Murphy (McNally Sagal). I feel a prostitute-whore beat down coming on one of these episodes!
And Gemma and Maureen! (Paula Malcolmson), how is THAT going to go? So much good stuff to look forward to, that Monsters and Critics is giving away an AUTHENTIC signed Sons of Anarchy season three posters SIGNED by Katey, Ron and Charlie!
We also found A+ Irish recipes for the changing weather, in honor of the SAMCRO road trip to Ireland, all tested in our kitchen and approved.
Episode 8 – “Lochan Mor” (Airs October 26, 10:00 pm e/p) – When Samcro pays a visit to another charter, not everyone’s happy to see the mother chapter. Written by Dave Erickson & Liz Sagal & Kurt Sutter; directed by Guy Ferland. "Lochan Mor" means "Great Pond" in Gaelic.
Watch FX's promo here:
Now, here are two kick ass recipes to get the SOA party rolling:
Classic Irish Boiled Dinner
1 Hr 20 Min
Yield 6 servings
* 3 pounds smoked pork shoulder (or corned beef if you prefer)
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 large onions, quartered
* 6 potatoes, peeled, halved
* 8 ounces carrots, cut in half
* 1 large head cabbage, quartered
* 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1. Place the meat into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, potato, cabbage and onions; cover and continue to simmer. Use kitchen string to tie the green beans into a bundle. Add them to the pot, cover and continue to cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
3. To serve, remove pork to a serving dish. Arrange vegetables around it. Allow the pork to rest about 10 minutes before slicing.
Irish Soda Bread
Recipe courtesy Brother Rick Curry, The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking, HarperPerennial, 1995
* 5 cups sifted all-purpose unbleached flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
* 2 1/2 cups mixed light and dark raisins, soaked in water for 15 to 20 minutes and drained
* 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
* 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
* 1 large egg, slightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter 2 (9 by 5-inch) bread pans.
Stir together the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in the butter and mix very thoroughly with your hands until it gets grainy. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
Add the buttermilk and egg to the flour mixture. Stir until well moistened. Shape dough into 2 loaves and place in the pans.
Bake for 1 hour. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool in the pans for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Next on SOA, Episode 9 is titled “Turas” and airs November 2, 10:00 pm e/p –
The club embarks on a protection run, the likes of which they’ve never seen before.
BONUS: For those of you paying attention, send me a picture of your Irish boiled dinner party to april dot macintyre at gmail.com and I will post in the next tune in for SOA next week!
First one received wins a signed poster of season three, by Charlie, Ron and Katey! We lucked out and were given two by FX to giveaway!