Royal Watch News
Queen Elizabeth cancels engagements
Mar 13, 2013, 12:02 GMT
Britain's Queen Elizabeth has cancelled all official engagements planned today (13.03.13) and tomorrow (14.03.13).
The 86-year-old royal was hospitalised with gastroenteritis earlier this month, and though she made her first public appearance in more than a week on Monday (11.03.13) evening, she is taking two days to further rest and recover from the stomach bug.
However, Buckingham Palace said she hoped to resume all her official engagements next week and will continue with the 'usual rhythm of business at Buckingham Palace', including holding a Privy Council meeting today.
In a statement yesterday (12.03.13), Buckingham Palace said: 'The queen continues to make a good recovery following her recent illness, and today she presented the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry and held a series of audiences.
'However, regrettably, she will no longer attend the Tech City engagement planned for tomorrow, or the Soldiers' and Airmen's Scriptures Association Service at the Guards Chapel.'
Her son Prince Andrew will step in to visit the London technology firms today, while her husband Prince Philip will attend the service tomorrow.
On Monday, the queen appeared at a Marlborough House reception, where she signed the new Commonwealth charter.
However, earlier in the day she had pulled out of the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey - only the second time she has missed it since her ascension to the throne.
FROM THE WEB
Further Reading on M&C
COMMENT on Queen Elizabeth cancels engagementscomments powered by Disqus
Latest Headlines in Royal Watch
- 1. Princes William and Harry open Help For Heroes centre
- 2. Prince Charles protester fined
- 3. Princes Charles and William to call for poaching action
- 4. Duchess Catherine's etiquette knowledge
- 5. Prince Harry to throw party for US swimmer