Royal Watch News
Prince Charles' letters banned from release
Oct 17, 2012, 11:01 GMT
Letters written by Britain's Prince Charles are being blocked from public release.
Attorney General Dominic Grieve has issued a veto meaning 27 letters written by the first-in-line to the British throne to ministers in the government cannot be published.
Grieve said they could damage his political neutrality and prevent him from being able to do his duties.
In a statement, Grieve said Charles' contact with the government helped him to understand policy more.
He said: 'It strengthens his relations with ministers and enables him to make points which he would have a right, and indeed a duty, to make as monarch.'
This news comes despite three judges ruling last month that there was an overwhelming public interest in publishing the letters, which were sent by the prince to seven departments in Tony Blair's government.
But a number of anti-monarchist groups have hit out at the latest move to block the letters from public release, including Graham Smith, from anti-monarchy group Republic, who has proclaimed the move as outrageous.
Royal aides insist Charles has always believed it is 'central to his role as heir that he can communicate privately with public officials'.
FROM THE WEB
Further Reading on M&C
COMMENT on Prince Charles' letters banned from releasecomments powered by Disqus
Latest Headlines in Royal Watch
- 1. Princes William and Harry open Help For Heroes centre
- 2. Prince Charles protester fined
- 3. Princes Charles and William to call for poaching action
- 4. Duchess Catherine's etiquette knowledge
- 5. Prince Harry to throw party for US swimmer