Royal Watch News
Royal sex tape scandal
Oct 29, 2007, 13:30 GMT
A member of the British Royal Family claims to have been blackmailed for £50,000 over a tape alleging they performed a sex act on an aide.
Police have arrested two suspects, socialite Ian Strachan - who claims to move on the fringes of the royal family - and Sean McGuigan, who are being held in custody in separate London prisons in London after being charged with blackmail at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
The video is not believed to show the member of the royal family - who cannot be named for legal reasons - actually engaged in sexual or criminal acts, but just shows the aide boasting about the incident, before snorting a line of cocaine.
Strachan and McGuigan also claim they have evidence the family member supplied the aide with an envelope full of the class A drug.
On September 11, the two men arranged to meet their source at London's Hilton Hotel to negotiate the sale of the material, but were instead met by undercover police who promptly arrested them.
A police source said: "We were contacted by the staff of a member of the royal family who said they were being targeted by extortionists.
"After discussions with the royal and staff we began a covert operation. Phone calls involving the alleged blackmailers were recorded. It culminated last month in the alleged extortionists attending a meeting at a Mayfair hotel with an undercover officer. The meeting was recorded on audio tape and film.
"After a discussion between the police officer and the men, a pre-arranged signal was given and other officers moved in to arrest them.
"A mobile phone containing images was seized. Several addresses in west London were searched."
Strachan told his lawyers he has met Princes William and Harry twice, as well as Princess Anne's daughter Zara Phillips and Lord Frederick Windsor.
Stachan's lawyer denies his client has ever blackmailed a royal family member.
He said: "At no time did my client call the royal household. He in fact called the private business office of the individual concerned.
"My client denies that he asked for any money and that it was in fact the office of the individual concerned who first offered money."
The alleged royal is not a senior member of the family, is yet to perform royal duties and is definitely not William or Harry.
A spokesman for royal London residence Buckingham Palace refused to comment.
(C) BANG Media International