Nicole Richie's trial postponed
Jun 20, 2007, 13:00 GMT
Nicole Richie EPA/TRACEY NEARMY
Nicole Richie's trial has been postponed until July 11.
The 'Simple Life' star, who arrested for DUI (driving under the influence) last December, has been ordered by a Los Angeles Superior Court to stand trial next month.
The two-week postponement was announced on Tuesday (19.06.07), and Nicole was warned the judge will not allow any further delays.
Los Angeles District Attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said: "Commissioner Steven Lubell did not want any more delays. The trial is now set for July 11. It must happen within 10 days of that date or Nicole Richie must enter a plea. She has two options - either she goes to trial or she changes her 'not guilty' plea."
Nicole's lawyer Shawn Chapman Holley revealed the case was postponed because it could have clashed with his holiday.
He said: "Judges are under orders to get things moving. Nothing extraordinary happened. The case had been set for trial on the 25th and I'm going on vacation on the 28th. He just said no further continuances without good cause. He vacated the trial and set a new date."
When asked if Nicole may consider a plea agreement to avoid a trial, Holley replied: "Just because it is set for trial that does not mean we are going to trial. We are still discussing things and we are still looking at the case."
Nicole could be jailed for up to a year if she is found guilty because of a previous DUI conviction from 2003.
The 25-year-old, who pleaded not guilty at a preliminary hearing, recently revealed she is terrified of going to jail.
She said: "I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, and of course, I'm scared also, but I'm willing to face whatever consequences come my way, and I take responsibility for what I've done."
(C) BANG Media International