Top female actress earners critiqued by Finke
By Stone Martindale Dec 4, 2006, 5:52 GMT
If this is the wrong side of forty- there is no hope for the rest of us!! © Glenn Harris / Photorazzi
The Hollywood Reporter's annual list of highest earning actresses has set off one of tinseltown's most read columnists and reporters, Nikki Finke.
Finke is controverisal American entertainment journalist and social commentator who owns, edits, and publishes a daily on-line entertainment magazine called Deadline Hollywood Daily, Finke also writes a column for LA Weekly. To say she has some strong opinions is an understatement.
1. Nicole Kidman, $16 mil-$17 mil. According to Finke, she should be earning negative one million. Reasons being lack of sex appeal and both sexes don't cotton to her. Says Finke: "She's poison at the box office, the female equivalent of Sean Penn. Women dislike her, men don't think she's sexy, and those Chanel ads induce nausea....Note to majors: save your $$$ and hire Reese or Angelina."
2. Reese Withspoon, $15 mil. Finke loves her some Reese. Thinks she can get $25 mil. "Reese can do no wrong. Women love her, men love her, the camera loves her." Says Finke. "She opens a movie. 'Nuff said."
3. Renee Zellweger, $15 mil. Finke says divide that by three. $5 mil. tops is what she deserves. "Renee doesn't open movies, unless the material is Bridget Jones-cloned." Finke summarizes.
4. Drew Barrymore, $15 mil. Discount time says Finke: $3 mil.is her value. "Drew has never been able to open a movie, and she never will." Says Finke.
5. Cameron Diaz, $15 mil. Cut in half more like it for Finke. $7 mil. for Diaz better. "Put her in a bikini, and she's worth it....she simply doesn't have much range as an actress from the neck up." According to Finke.
6. Halle Berry, $14 mil. She's dreaming, says Finke, more like $5 mil. Finke states "she's now the wrong side of 40, and Hollywood is cruel that way."
7. Charlize Theron, $10 mil. Spot on for Finke, $10 mil. is just right. "A smart actress, surrounded by smart people, doing smart roles." Opines Finke.
8. Angelina Jolie, $10 mil. Crazy talk says Finke, says she is worth $25 mil. "There's no one hotter right now than Angelina on screen and off." Summarizes Finke.
9. Kirsten Dunst, $8 mil-$10 mil. Oh please, more like $1 mil. "Marie Antoinette dying in theaters didn't help her price...she won't age well with audiences. This is a career about to end." said Finke.
10. Jennifer Aniston, $8 mil. No way, around $1 mil. "She's not a movie star. She's a TV star. Big difference. Most of all, she's not an interesting actress. She can't open a movie, and her choice of material is abysmal." cut Finke, right to the chase.
The entire summary and article is at http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/852/