We are thrilled that the political drama House of Cards has launched Netflix’s expansion into original programming.
This whip smart potboiler of power plays, dirty deeds and unbridled lust began two years ago, and was an immediate hit with viewers and my fellow TCA TV critics, giving Netflix the clout and the wherewithal to redefine “television.”
The success of this series netted more fantastic efforts, noir comedy “Lilyhammer,” dramedy “Orange is the New Black” and even emboldened Amazon.com to create new and daring series. To their credit, “Transparent” has officially made gender transitioning a more mainstream topic.
Season three debuted early Friday, and fans in the country, most faced with daunting weather and little desire to be out in it, will curl up with President Frank and FLOTUS Claire Underwood who will dazzle us with their withering glares and power plays, so you know a cocktail is in order!
Our good friends at Basil Hayden’s and Knob Creek felt us, and came up with the perfect cocktails for you to try this weekend while we enjoy the drama!
Of course it goes without saying: Do not drink while rowing!
House of Cards Cocktails:
Basil Hayden’s® Power Play
Recipe by LA Mixologist, Joel Black of Black LAB Ventures.
- 1 1/2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
- 1/2 part Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3/4 parts Simple Syrup
- 2 drops of Vanilla Extract
- Splash of Root Beer
1. In a double old-fashioned glass, add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, vanilla extract and ice, top with root beer.
2. Pour mixture into a mixing tin then back into the double old-fashioned glass.
3. Add an additional splash of root beer and garnish with a lemon rind.
Knob Creek® Liberty Old Fashioned
Recipe by Maria Polise | Philadelphia, PA
- 1 1/2 part Knob Creek® Bourbon
- 3/4 part Amaro Averna
- 3/4 part Carpano Antica
- 2 dashes Bitterman’s Xoxolatl Mole™ Bitters
- 1 barspoon of Simple Syrup
- 1 Strawberry, sliced
- 1 Sprig Mint
1. Combine the strawberry and simply syrup in an Old Fashioned glass and muddle.
2. Add the Knob Creek® Bourbon, Amara Averna, Carpano Antica and Bitters with ice to the glass and stir until diluted.
3. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Let’s Be Frank
- 4 ounces Q Ginger
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce SNAP ginger liqueur
- 1 orange wedge
1. Fill highball glass with ice. Add SNAP ginger liqueur, bourbon and bitters.
2. Top with Q Ginger and gently stir.
3. Garnish with an orange wedge.