'Big geek' Emeli Sande
Feb 6, 2012, 18:34 GMT
Emeli Sande was a 'big geek' at school.
The 'Heaven' singer was enrolled at medical school before her singing career took off, and admits she always tried very hard at school.
She told Q magazine: 'I was a big geek. I took the hardest classes I could, all the sciences. I loved being at the top.'
Emeli left her studies after she had achieved a degree in neuroscience at Glasgow University, Scotland, and said she chose to study the brain because 'it's like a black hole, it's vast and fascinating.
'I'm fascinated by psychiatry and mental breakdown. I just hope I can put it all into my music.'
Emeli, 24, - who has been awarded the 2012 BRITs Choice award - also said she knew she could pursue her career after collaborating with rapper Chipmunk on his 2009 hit 'Diamond Rings', writing the hook and singing the chorus.
She said: 'When the first song I did with [producer and co-writer] Naughty Boy, Chipmunk's 'Diamond Rings', went to the top 10, that's when it started and I thought I could really pursue music as a career.'
FROM THE WEB
Further Reading on M&C
COMMENT on 'Big geek' Emeli Sandecomments powered by Disqus
Latest Headlines in Music
- 1. An Evening with Sarah McGuinness benefitting Little Kids Rock
- 2. Red Fang new album and tour dates (VIDEO)
- 3. Hank Williams Jr. Summer 2013 tour dates announced
- 4. Clairy Browne & the Bangin’ Rackettes continue touring, NPR and more
- 5. Americana Music Association announces nominees for 2013 awards