Update: Running back Ray Rice was fired and released by the Baltimore Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Monday. “The Baltimore Ravens terminated the contract of RB Ray Rice this afternoon,” the statement said.
CNN reported that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who had originally given Rice a two-game ban, increased the suspension after viewing the new video for the first time.
TMZ has Ray Rice dead to rights in damning video that shows the before to their after video of him dragging an unconscious fiancee (now wife) that earned him only a two game suspension from the NFL.
Rice is seen delivering a rapid fire punch to his fiancee’s face, knocking her out. Previously TMZ had the video where Rice was seen dragging the unconscious fiancée Janay Palmer on the floor out of the elevator. Assault charges were slapped on both Rice and Palmer, but the charges against Palmer were dropped, with Rice then charged with third-degree assault causing bodily injury. He was later accepted into a pretrial intervention program, which will allow his record to be expunged if he successfully completes a program that will include anger management.
The new TMZ video questions the decision making of the NFL after the Feb. 15th event at the Revel Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City — after Ray and Palmer got into a heated argument where he strikes first … she hits back … and then Rice delivers the knockout blow.
Janay is seen hitting her head on the elevator hand rail as she is made unconscious. Ray then drags her out into the hotel.
An employee of the hotel — which just shut down for good — tells TMZ Sports he was working there at the time and says the NFL saw the elevator footage before imposing the 2-game suspension.
According to ESPN Rice and Palmer married the day after the incident.
The Associated Press reported that the NFL is backpeddling on the weak penalty. Acknowledging he “didn’t get it right” with a two-game suspension for Ravens running back Ray Rice, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced going forward there will be tougher penalties for players accused of domestic violence, including six weeks for a first offense and at least a year for a second.
In a letter sent to all 32 team owners Thursday, Goodell says:
“My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values,” Goodell wrote. “I didn’t get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will.”