Camilla not part of Diana memorial service

The Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla, pulled out of next week`s Diana memorial service on the Queen of England’s advice, and not on the request of a friend of the Princess of Wales.

Camilla took council from her mother-in-law, the Queen, which led to the Duchess of Cornwall`s announcement yesterday, reported the Daily Mail who quoted Buckingham Palace insiders.

The Duchess of Cornwall yesterday said that she would not be attending the Prince of Wales memorial service on August 31 as her “attendance could divert attention from the purpose of the occasion which is to focus on the life and service of Diana”.

In a statement, Camilla said that she was “very touched to have been invited by Prince William and Prince Harry to attend the thanksgiving service” but would not attend the event. “I`m grateful to my husband, William and Harry for supporting my decision.”

As the date drew near, whispers of “appropriate” and decorum for Camilla to be at Diana’s services were amplified.  The Queen advised her to pull out of the ceremony slated for Friday at the Guards Chapel.

Last week, Camilla defended her presence at the next week’s memorial service as “appropriate”, despite a recent poll which showed that a majority of Britons were opposed to her attending the ceremony.

Note the date on this article may be incorrect due to importing it from our old system.