Spider-Man's Broadway premiere postponed for fifth time
Jan 15, 2011, 17:22 GMT
Los Angeles - The curse of Spidey has struck again.
Producers announced Friday that they were postponing the formal opening of the Broadway premier of Spiderman for a fifth time to allow for more rehearsals before the official curtain is raised.
With a budget of over 65 million dollars, the show is the most expensive ever to be mounted on Broadway. And it has been hit with a string of glitches, including most recently the resignation of its lead female star and a serious injury to the stunt actor who performs some of the production's most dazzling aerobatic moves.
The show, with music by U2's Bono and The Edge, is currently playing in preview mode to packed audiences at the Foxwoods Theatre on Broadway and had been due for its official premiere on February 7th.
This has now been pushed back to March 15 to allow a reworking of the show's final act, among other changes, producer Michael Cohl said in a statement.
'Spider-Man Turn off the Dark is ten-times more complicated to tech than anything else, and the preview schedule allows for only very limited rehearsal time (twelve hours per week),' said producer Michael Cohl.
'We simply need more time to fully execute the creative team's vision before freezing the show. I picked a date in March that allows me to ensure that this will be the final postponement.'